Thursday, September 29, 2011

Soo many study halls

Waking up today, based on the classes on my schedule, I was already preparing myself for a miserable day of school. To my surprise, it was the complete opposite.
I think my favorite thing about the Spanish school system is the fact that when a teacher doesn't show up, even if it's planned in advance, there is no class. For example, I haven't had a Math class all week besides the test because the teacher has been sick. For the past three days all I've done is sit and attempt to talk to my classmates because there is nothing else to do. Today though, the principal decided to chaperone our class and we ended up all having a group discussion where the students would ask me questions and the principal would translate for me. This was really helpful for me because while I do realize I need to be practicing my Spanish, it's hard for people to get to know each other when they can only communicate in basic sentences. My next class was, of course, Economy. I have never hated a class more in my life than Economy. Today, all we did was copy an extremely complex diagram on the board. I was actually relieved when I was finished. But then, the teacher, for some reason, thought I needed to make it bigger so I had to draw it again. As I said before, I hate Economy. For the next class I had another free period where there was no teacher to watch over us. I guess the guys in my class thought this to be the perfect opportunity to have some sort of paper ball fight which made it impossible to get any work done. After lunch I was supposed to have Science which I had been dreading all day but instead I was told to go to the Gym. Once there, my friend from class informed me that this was an information meeting because next week on Thursday, school was going to be canceled due to some sort of unemployment strike. (I'm still impressed I was able to understand her when she was explaining this to me.) Next, was once again, Economy. Why! Again, we had to copy some sort of stupid diagram that I don't understand and really don't feel like translating. I know I'll have to eventually but I'm too tired to care. Finally, I had history, a class that's usually difficult but once again for some reason we had a free period. The teacher just decided she didn't want to come to class I guess because she came in took attendance an left. That's four free periods in one day. I don't think I've ever had an easier day of school in my life. Well, except for Economy. Stupid Economy.


On a side note, after school today, I decided I wanted to explore more of Jerez. This was my first time walking far away from my house without anyone from my host family accompanying me so of course, I got lost. I was kind of hoping this would happen though because I really wanted to test how well I could learn my surroundings and I knew if I was really in trouble I could always just attempt to ask for directions. I did eventually make it back only to be locked out of my house for an hour which I guess is some sort of karma for semi-purposely becoming lost.


I would go more into detail about what I saw on my adventure in Jerez but it is now 11:30 and I'm just too tired.


Adiooo
-Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment