Friday, September 30, 2011

Skipping Class

Since I've been here, I've noticed that often times kids are in school for most of the day but will leave school for one or more class periods. I guess it's not really a rule to stay in school because when the teacher does attendance at the beginning of class, she never questions why a students name would be marked as “present” for History and Math but “absent” for English and Science. It seems that so far, almost everyone in my class has skipped at least once since I've been here. Today for example, the Philosophy teacher decided that he wasn't going to have class that day so some of my friends asked me if I wanted to go to the park with them. I figured that it was probably okay considering more than half my class was going. Everything was going fine until one kid looked at his watch and screamed something about being late. Instantly, everyone stopped what they were doing and sprinted towards the school. Well, except for a select few that decided they were just going to take the rest of the day off. (Why this is acceptable I'll never understand) Anyways, once we arrived back in the classroom, all the kids ran over to the attendance chart and started checking off their names while a student watched the door. When the student gave the warning signal everyone ran back to their seats. I don't think I've ever been more confused in my life. How could skipping class be this easy. If all you have to do is have a friend check your name off when the teacher isn't looking, why would you go to class at all? I could skip an entire day and no one would ever know. Don't worry, I'm not planning on doing this considering I'm behind enough as it is, but I just find it fascinating how easily half a class got away with leaving school.


Two weeks later and Spain still continues amaze me.
-Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment