Sunday, September 25, 2011

First weekend in Jerez

I guess to keep this post from being confusing I'll break down my weekend into the three days it consisted of.



Friday:
For some reason my host family thought that it was okay to leave me alone in the house for like four hours while they went out dancing. I decided that this would be the perfect opportunity to explore around the neighborhood and see more of Jerez. Unfortunately my camera was dead so I couldn't take any pictures but there really isn't much to see anyway so for now I'm not too worried. After I was done exploring I immediately ran up to my room and got out my guitar because I realized that this was the perfect opportunity to finally play my guitar. Of course I sounded terrible because I had to tune by ear but I mean, it didn't really matter considering no one was around to hear me.



Saturday:
Saturday began as one of the most boring days of my life and ended as one of the most exciting. I woke up around 12 to my host mom telling me that we were going to go grocery shopping...again...even though we'd just gone the day before. Now normally I wouldn't mind going to the grocery store because it's not like I had anything better to do but going to the grocery store here is not the same thing as back in America. First,we had to go pick up the grandparents for some reason I still don't understand considering they didn't buy anything. Then we drove to a completely different town 45 minutes away to that towns grocery store because I guess some of their foods are cheaper. Then we began what seemed like the longest three hours of my life.
I don't know if it's just my family but every time we go to the grocery store we start at the beginning of the first aisle and slowly make our way down each aisle inspecting each item to see if we need it or not. After this careful process has been completed we make our way to the meat section. I can probably say I have never been so close to puking in public in my entire life than the first time I walked into that part of the store. Instantly after walking in I saw a wall of dried pig legs, hooves and all. The smell of that alone was enough to make me want to run for the door. Then there came the tables of 3 feet long fish with eyes staring directly at me. Finally for the big finale was the freezer of frozen pigs bunched up in plastic wrap. It was honestly so disturbing I wanted to cry but of course I didn't and pretended like everything there was completely normal.



That night I went to my first discoteca. It was nothing like anything I'd ever experienced before and I mean that in a good way. I went with my host sister and her friend who speaks some English which made everything easier. We didn't end up leaving until 12 which was way later than I expected. Before we went to the discoteca we stopped at a pre-club block party. It was basically just a street filled with kids. It was a lot like the clam fest block party but with three times as many people. I was able to meet all of my host sisters friends who were all really nice and interested in introducing me to as many people as possible. At around two in the morning they decided it was late enough to go to the club. They told me I was too young to legally go into the club so I was just supposed to pretend I didn't understand any Spanish while they did all the talking. Somehow...it worked... No one really showed up until around 3 in the morning but once everyone did get there it was soo much fun. Everyone there was dancing and the music was really good so all in all it was probably the best time I've had since I've been here. My host sisters friends say they come here almost every weekend so hopefully I'll get to go back soon.



Since this post is already really long I'll explain my day at the beach in tomorrows post.
Now I'm off to tackle Philosophy homework
Should be fun.
-Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment