Thursday, September 22, 2011

First day of school

Today I was finally able to go to school! This was yet again a day of many emotions ranging from extreme sadness to extreme happiness. I expected as much though considering the number of things that were going to be new to me.



School here is a lot different than in the United States. As I said yesterday each student is assigned a different track. I assume I'm on the economy track considering I had economy twice today. (already my least favorite class) Some other classes that I'm taking are:
-Math (I couldn't follow everything that was going on but I did understand that he was trying to teach the class exponents so I can't imagine it's going to be too hard)
-English (I have this tomorrow. So excited.)
-Study Hall (Best class)
-Gym (I'm looking forward to this only because I haven't been able to run at all since I've came here.)
-History (The content looks so interesting I just couldn't understand anything that was going on... this was the point in the day when I started to miss home only because I love history when I can understand it.)
-Science (death.)
-Religion? (I guess I'm able to choose between religion and study hall but when it came time to choose the kids in my class decided that I was going to stay in study hall.. oh well..)
-Philosophy (Considering I've never taken a philosophy class in English I don't really know how this is going to go... hopefully this credit won't count in Yarmouth)
-French (learning French in Spanish..ha)
-Literature (Well I think that's what the schedule says.. I'll guess I'll find out tomorrow)



In Spanish schools, the teachers go from classroom to classroom instead of the students moving. I find this weird and annoying only because sitting for six hours with only one half hour break is not what I like/am used to. I also don't understand why I had economy twice today. You'd think they'd spread it out more throughout the week but they don't. I guess people here just really like economy...



When I first walked into the classroom I was immediately surprised at how many kids there were in the classroom. There were at least 35 kids in one tiny room. Everyone of course stared at me as I introduced myself and then walked to the back of the classroom extremely embarrassed (I was 30 minutes late for class). As class went on all I could think about was how hard it was going to be to make friends here. Everyone obviously already has friends and I couldn't just interfere with that especially not knowing the language. By the end of first period I was just settling into a mood of depression when all the sudden the bell rang and immediately all 35 kids got up from there seats and came back to my desk. I don't think I've ever been more relieved in my entire life. Everyone was so nice and patient with me. They all wanted to practice their English with me which was pretty hilarious. One girl name Paola decided it would be her mission to show me around school and make sure I was doing okay. I'm extremely grateful to her because anytime there was any sort of break she would take me out to the hallway and introduce me to as many of her friends as possible. I think she even invited me to a party this weekend but I can't exactly be sure considering she was talking in a mix of Spanish and English. I also found out I have to buy like 10 books costing over 200 euros total. Awesome..



Tomorrow should be even more interesting and exciting..
Can't wait!
-Libby

2 comments: