Friday, September 23, 2011

Entiendes? Kinda!

Today was my second day of school and thankfully a Friday. Some classes I had yesterday but a few were new to me. My school's schedule is broken up into six hour long periods. Three in the morning with a half hour break and then three more after. It's extremely hard to pay attention during school because I already know I'm just going to Google translate everything later but I still feel that I should at least try to understand what the teacher is saying. Experiencing a Spanish school has come to make me appreciate American schools much more that I had before. Spanish classrooms are basically just four walls with a white board and a bunch of tables. The teacher walks in, talks, and leaves. It's up to you how many notes you take and how well you understand the material. Questions are limited because most classes only meet two or three times a week (except for economy........) for one hour. I've noticed that many students don't bother taking notes unless it's for homework. From what I've seen there are no group projects or open discussions. The teacher may have a computer but that's it. I haven't even bothered bringing my phone or laptop for I know there is no use for it. It would make school very boring if everything wasn't so new to me. I'm sure as time goes on I'll start settling in and school will be as boring for me as it is for everyone else.



If you're interested on how my classes went today here's a brief description
History: The teacher used a slide show today so I just basically wrote down everything on the slides with the plan to Google translate what I don't understand later. I did actually understand some of what the teacher was talking about which I guess is progress from where I was a week ago not understanding basic sentences.



Drawing: Why. I don't even like drawing yet apparently I have to go once a week to draw buildings, birds, and other objects I can't draw. I guess this wouldn't but the teacher told me I have to go buy 4 different sketch pads and 3 types of paint. More money spent on something I don't want. Another reason to appreciate American school systems. Supplies is usually provided for you.



English: This will definitely be my favorite class. All I have to do is sit back, relax, and enjoy understanding every single thing that's going on around me while for once everyone else is struggling and asking for help.



Philosophy: All we did was talk about the word philosophy. Literally just the word. I'm not even going to begin to start on how pointless/boring that class is.



Science: nope.



Literature: I guess I have to go out and buy three different books, read them, and then take a test on them. Where I'm going to find these books? No clue. Luckily communication between my host mom and me has gotten better and she told me she would call my local coordinator for me (she doesn't speak English) so hopefully she'll be able to tell me where everyone's buying all these extremely expensive supplies.



After school I faced quite a few fears that I didn't think I would have to deal with until much later. I successfully made it home on the bus alone telling the bus driver where my house was (with some help) and I rode on a motorcycle/moped/I don't know what they call it here. This was by far the scarier of the two. I didn't even know I was facing this fear until I was on the bike cruising down the cobblestone road. At first I was freaking out and planning my funeral for I was sure the sister was going to get into an accident. Eventually though, I was able to put my fears aside and enjoy what was actually the coolest thing I've done here. Bikes don't have any rules in Spain. They cruise through traffic and only stop if absolutely necessary. The only sketchy part about the experience was that there was no strap on my helmet so it was basically just for show...... Needless to say while it was very fun I'm probably not going to take part in that adventure again any time soon. Well, not until I get a safer helmet. :)



Tomorrow I'm going to my first Spanish club!
This should be interesting..
-Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment