Friday, September 16, 2011

Day 1/2/3

So.......
I made it to Spain!!
It took two days in Boston, a six hour flight to Frankfurt, a two hour flight to Barcelona, and a lost guitar but finally I arrived in the youth hostel of Barcelona. You'll have to excuse the grammatical structure of this post because I've been awake for over 35 hours with no sleep. I would've waited to post this but tomorrow is full with more orientations and host family information. 
So to sum up what has happened these past few days....

Day 1:
After many sad goodbyes, which I must admit were a lot more difficult than I thought, I drove down to Boston where I met up with the 15 other kids who were going to Spain. Most kids I found were staying no where near me but I did find a couple of kids who would be in my town and one in my school which is better than I expected. Traveling around Boston was hard only because I was extremely anxious to get to Spain and unlike some of the other kids I've seen Boston many times before which made most of day 1 and 2 very, very boring. On the upside spending time in Boston gave me more opportunities to talk to people who I hadn't been able to say goodbye to in person without fear of international charges. 

Day 2: Travel day.
Day 2 kind of ties into day 3 because of the fact that I still haven't slept since 6:00 am Thursday morning and it is now Friday night. But basically after another day of traveling around Boston I finally was able to board the plane. I ended up having to switch seats with another person which put me alone making the flight a little boring but now that I'm here none of that really matters in retrospect. The second flight from Frankfurt to Barcelona was beautiful. Unfortunately I was wide awake and saw the entire thing but as I said earlier it was beautiful. I'll just end day 2 there because by this point it was basically Friday

Day 3: Barcelona!!
After arriving in Barcelona we immediately went to the youth hostel. For anyone who doesn't know what a youth hostel is, it's basically just a hotel with tiny rooms bunking up to 8 people on tiny cots. It's a good thing I'm as tired as I am because otherwise there would be no way I would be sleeping on those mattresses (equipped with no sheets/blankets) From the youth hostel we went toured around Barcelona on a bus and went up to a beautiful cathedral on top of a mountain overlooking the entire city. I have tons of pictures but at the moment I have no time to upload them so I'll wait till I'm with my host family to do that. Basically after the tour all we've been doing is settling in to the youth hostel and adjusting to Spain.

Well that's all for now
-Libby

1 comment: