Sunday, May 20, 2012

Feriaaaa


So,
Feria.
It's so weird to think that the event I've been waiting for and hearing about for now over eight months, is over. Unfortunately, it went a lot faster for me because I was sick for the first three days. Lucky me.. Besides that though, Feria was definitely worth the wait, and it suprassed any previous expectations I had. People never seemed to rest during Feria. All my friends would get up bright and early every morning, put on their dresses or whatever the guys would wear (basically just nice clothes) and head to Feria. After spending the day walking around and looking at the “Casetas”, which are basically just booths made to be either restaurants or dancing areas, they would go home, change clothes, and go back out for a full night of partying. I honestly have no idea how people did that everyday. I did that routine for two days before I decided to stop going during the day due to the fact that it was impossible for me to get out of bed before 12:00.

I was finally able to try out my Flamenco dancing during Feria. I unfortunately didn't get a video because the days that I dressed up were so hot (over 100 degrees!) that the only time I actually danced was when someone would force me and even then it was only for just a couple minutes. Wearing those dresses in 100 degree weather actually felt like real torture. Between the long sleeves and the thick fabric, plus the little sash thing they make you wear, the ten pounds of makeup I was wearing melted straight off my face.

Speaking of the heat, IT IS SO HOT HERE! I'm pretty sure it has reached at least 100 almost every day for the past two weeks. Apparently this heat isn't normal but, I don't care. These last two weeks have been absolutely terrible. What makes it even worse is that there aren't air-conditioners or fans in my house. I'm currently sitting in my room, (the hottest room in the house) at 9:00 at night, dripping with sweat (disgusting but true), having to stop every 30 seconds to take a sip of water. Paying attention in class is basically impossible. I keep getting all these flashbacks to the beginning of the year when I was experiencing the same problem, although I don't remember it being this bad. Hopefully it'll cool down soon because I really don't want to remember my last few weeks here as being miserable.

Next week is going to be really hard for me because one of my best friends that I've made this year is leaving to go back to the United States. Luckily he only lives in New Hampshire so I'll get to see him once I get back but, still, it's definitely going to be different and sad not having him here. I hate saying goodbye. I hated it when I left and I hate it even more here. It's different here because saying goodbye to people is basically saying goodbye forever. When I left back in September, those goodbyes felt like they'd be forever because I never really thought about this year actually ending. Now that I'm close to the end though, I've realized how much harder it will be to say goodbye to all the friends I've made here. Sure, I'm already planning my next visit back here but, it won't be the same. Everyone will be separated, I won't be with my exchange friends, and I'll once again feel like a visitor instead of someone who lives here. All of this is still a month away so I don't have to worry about it quite yet but, him leaving keeps making me think about my own inevitable departure. Something I'm not quite yet ready to fully think about. I'll save that for later.

Anyways,
I have to go study Economy.....
como siempre...
Adioss
Here's a few pictures I took during Feria








No comments:

Post a Comment