Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Almost Christmas!

So..
Finally, after so many tests I can't even count, I'm done. Finished. Well, actually, I do have two more days of school but we're not learning anything so they're basically pointless. Today in school I spent the first three hours playing an intense game of poker with the 10 out of 30 kids who decided to show up for class, then I left. I wasn't planning on leaving considering it's technically considered skipping but the entire class left so.... I figured it would be more beneficial to go with them and actually practice Spanish instead of just sitting in an empty classroom for three more hours. I taught my entire class how to play 21 in Spanish which I think is a pretty good accomplishment. Tomorrow nobody in my class is going except for me because I have to according to the rules of my program... Should be fun.

I still don't know my grades because unfortunately they won't release them until Friday. I think that's the schools way of forcing the kids to come into school at least one day out of the week. I took one final Economy test yesterday and I'm pretty sure I failed so if I averaged everything out correctly, I should have only failed Math and Economy. Obviously I'm extremely disappointed with my Math grade considering most of the material I already knew before coming here. I'm just going to blame it on the fact that partial credit doesn't exist here making all the problems that should be at least half right, wrong.

I can't believe it's December 21st! Just four days until Christmas, five days until my birthday, and 10 days until New Years eve. Then of course there's the real celebration on January 6th but I'm not very excited about that because I'm still very confused on what actually happens. All I know is that on that day everyone gives each other presents instead of the 25th I'm still not sure exactly what I'm giving my host family for gifts. Even though I've been with my host family for three months, I still don't know much about what they like. For example, I know my host father is an engineer and that when he comes home he eats, sleeps, goes back to work, watches T.V. , and then sleeps some more. All I can think to get him is either a wrench or one of those jumbo T.V. Remotes.

I hate buying gifts...

I love giving them, but figuring out what to buy is just too difficult...

It's been really hard to get into the Christmas spirit with my insane amount of tests and the fact that there's no snow. Although I hear apparently there isn't any snow in Yarmouth so I guess it's really not that different. It's weird not having a real Christmas tree. I miss not being able to recognize all the ornaments on the tree and freaking out because my family is actually incapable of keeping a plant alive, even if it's only for a couple of weeks. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited about experiencing Christmas abroad, but now that it's only a few days away, I'm starting to miss home more than I thought I would.

Last Saturday I went to a Disco for the first time in a while. Kids here don't go that often because it costs a lot of money to get in and unless you have some sort of connection you can't get in if you're under 18. My friends and I weren't planning on being allowed in considering none of us had any connections, but for some reason I still haven't figured out we were allowed in no questions asked. Because of my lack of curfew, my friends and I stayed out until 5:00 in the morning making Sunday afternoon study plans just a little bit difficult.

Anyways,
I can't really think of what else to say.
This week hasn't been very exciting but I'm sure in the week to come I'll have many things to share.
Feliz Navidad :)

-Libby




Mi árbol de Navidad :)

1 comment:

  1. For what it's worth, I've already thrown out the two poinsettias. I don't think they made it a full two weeks.

    ReplyDelete